It should come as no surprise to Colorado drivers that winter is upon us. Once the snow starts to fall on the ground and the roads become slick from the ice it seems like more and more drivers become familiar with the brake pedal. According to NHTSA, 15 percent of crashes and accidents happen during snow or sleet conditions, 13 percent of crashes occur on icy pavement and 11 percent of weather-related crashes take place on snowy or slushy pavement. While this may seem like a low number, the statics do not account for the scary feeling that ones gets when they spin off the road. Here at McDonald Volkswagen in Littleton, Colorado we have compiled a list of winter driving tips to help reduce your chances of winter related accidents.
- It is always a good idea to make sure your vehicle is in peak winter condition. If you are a Volkswagen driver, just bring your VW to your local VW dealer for a complimentary multi-point inspection.
- Keep your fuel tank at least half full for added weight and for emergencies. Your chances of getting stuck in traffic are much higher in the winter, so having additional fuel to keep you and your passengers warm is always a good idea.
- Because air pressure drops in the cold weather, make sure that your tires are properly inflated. We recommend checking your tire air pressure frequently, but in case you forget, Volkswagen’s Tire Pressure Monitoring System will help remind you.
- Check all your fluids- windshield wiper fluids, antifreeze, engine oil and brake fluid.
- Check your tire tread to ensure that you have sufficient tread to get a good grip on the road.
- Keep a bag of kitty litter or sand in your vehicle. Not only will this add weight to your vehicle sand or kitty litter will come in handy if you ever get stuck.
- If you need help, call Volkswagen Roadside Assistance at 800-411-6688. Towing is free for all new and certified pre-owned Volkswagen models.
Remember that new Volkswagen models are backed by Volkswagen’s Carefree Maintenance program, which means that all regular scheduled maintenance for the first three years or 36,000 miles will be provided at no charge. Contact McDonald Volkswagen in Littleton Colorado to schedule a vehicle maintenance check today. Stay warm and stay safe!